Located in the Low Weald of mid Sussex, Twineham is a community of less than three hundred people. The village centre, which has no pub, post office or shop, comprises an old parish church, a flint-walled primary school, a few cottages and houses and glimpses of the slow moving River Adur. Two of the oldest houses in the village are Slipe, which dates from the 13th century, and Twineham Place Farm, dating from 1620. It is believed that the name "Twineham" is entirely English in origin and means :- "the homestead between the streams".
St Peter's Church is early Tudor and is one of the earliest churches to have been built of brick. However it contains a thirteenth century font from the previous building which was first recorded in 1226. There are covered pews, a gallery under the tower - which has a peal of five bells - and a Jacobean pulpit.
Twineham Church of England School has occupied its site adjacent to St Peter's Church since 1864. Originally a tithe barn, the building has various additions, the latest in 2009. The school provides a modern education in a rural environment for approximately 90 children from Twineham and the surrounding towns and villages.